Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 07:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
535620 Posts in 8931 Topics by 13434 Members
Latest Member: RDenman
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Railway Arms - Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes forums
|-+  Life On Mars Discussion
| |-+  Life On Mars - General Discussion
| | |-+  So how did Annie die???
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: So how did Annie die???  (Read 2240 times)
BronzeCortina
Detective Inspector

http://www.thefreakiestshow.com/

View Profile WWW
Re: So how did Annie die???
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 06:26 PM »

As to her era, Annie looked very Seventies to me, and I go along with the idea that she was kicked to death by Vic Tyler after the wedding. Four-year-old Sam saw it happen.

Yep.  That's my understanding of what happened as well

Me too.   Annie Cartwright

And mine... in fact I do remember wondering when watching that episode for the first time whether Annie was meant to have been injured/killed, and if adult Sam's being there in place of his younger self had changed reality... remember the days when we were all just as confused as Sam was about where he was???  Ah... happy memories!!! 

"It is just me, or has the world always been this way and I've simply been too wrapped up in myself to notice?"   Arthur Dent, The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams
------------------------------------
So this is it - we're going to die? It's at times like these I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me..." " Why, what did she tell you?"  "I don't know - I didn't listen!"   Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect, The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Buckethead0711
Detective Constable

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 12:33 PM »

She must have got killed by Sams dad in 1973 and then went back to the 60s or early 70s and then forgotten her previous life like the others. Sams Dad would have continued to attack her if not for Sam appearing.
iamian
Detective Inspector

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 07:38 PM »

So the purgatory Annie reappeared at the exact site and exact time of her own killing to see herself not killed as Sam stopped it from happening? In which case why didn't then suddenly remember she was dead and immediately head for the pub?  Once Ray, Chris and Shaz saw there own deaths they realized they were dead their fate was sealed within hours.

Sorry: but none of this has been mentioned before the last few weeks as far as I can see and it's all post event rationalisation.   
OverAnalyser
DCI

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 07:39 PM »

She must have got killed by Sams dad in 1973 and then went back to the 60s or early 70s and then forgotten her previous life like the others. Sams Dad would have continued to attack her if not for Sam appearing.

She may have been, but there is no justification to say that she must have been.  Alternatively, her soul could have arrived in the Geneverse and merged with or supplanted an Annie construct in the park there in 1973 at the same moment as her death.  That seems to be the popular theory on this board.  Another possibility is that Annie survived the beating in the real world just as she did in the Geneverse, and died some years later, going back to 1973 or earlier.
i_like_1981
Detective Constable

I Like 1981.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 05:17 PM »

As to her era, Annie looked very Seventies to me, and I go along with the idea that she was kicked to death by Vic Tyler after the wedding. Four-year-old Sam saw it happen.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what happened too. There's no other definite way of explaining her presence in the "Geneverse".

Best regards,
i_like_1981
OverAnalyser
DCI

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 05:49 PM »

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what happened too. There's no other definite way of explaining her presence in the "Geneverse".

Best regards,
i_like_1981

There are plenty of ways to explain her presence in the Geneverse.  Many like to speculate that she was killed by Vic, but that's just an intriguing story with nothing to evidence it.  We don't actually know for certain anything more about her original death and home era than we do about Viv's, Litton's, Mac's, et al.

Was she even beaten at all by Vic in the real world before young Sammy's eyes?  Maybe.  Alternatively, that was another woman in a red dress and Sam merged his memory of her with Annie - just like Alex merged Gene into her memory of the big protective police detective who carried her off of the hillside on 10 October 1981.

Does her brutal beating in the Geneverse have to be an analogy of her real-world death, a la Shaz being stabbed to temporary death in A2A ep. 1.7 and Chris being shot in LOM ep. 2.8 and shot at several times in both series?  No, certainly not.  Annie was also nearly killed by gunshots in LOM ep. 2.8; Ray was nearly blown up by bombs in 1973 and 1981; Shaz was nearly shot in LOM ep. 1.1; none of these events is particularly similar to their real world deaths.
iamian
Detective Inspector

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 06:54 PM »

There are plenty of ways to explain her presence in the Geneverse. 

I agree very much with the general tenet of your post OverAnalyser, all of this has only arisen
since A2A3:8. For those who consider the first 16 episodes in their own right no speculation is necessary! 

GeneGenie
Detective Constable

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 02:51 PM »

Mine too. I have started to re-watch from the very start. In 1.2 she wears a red dress in the club and it's flashes of a red dress the 4 year old Sam sees.

Yep.  That's my understanding of what happened as well

Me too.   Annie Cartwright

And mine... in fact I do remember wondering when watching that episode for the first time whether Annie was meant to have been injured/killed, and if adult Sam's being there in place of his younger self had changed reality... remember the days when we were all just as confused as Sam was about where he was???  Ah... happy memories!!! 

Gene Hunt: I think you've forgotten who you're talking to.
Sam Tyler: An overweight, over-the-hill, nicotine-stained, borderline-alcoholic homophobe with a superiority complex and an unhealthy obsession with male bonding?
Gene Hunt: You make that sound like a bad thing.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to: